Saturday, May 9, 2009

Disorienting "days"

Okay...the further north we go, the more my brain is TOTALLY confused. (alright kids, stop laughing!...I guess I'm supposed to say more confused than usual?!)

Up til now we have travelled further north slowly enough that the lengthening days weren't disorienting. Two long travel days in a row means we are suddenly much further north than before.

I KNOW that during the summer daylight will last 20+ hours. I just didn't expect to notice big changes already.

Let me give you two examples:

Right now my internal clock makes me wonder why Randy and Jakob are still in bed---obviously they are being "slugs" today. Then I look at the clock. Oops! It's only 8:00am! (What am I doing up already anyways?!) But with the light outside and how high the sun already is in the sky it FEELS like around 10:00!

And then there was last night...We arrived late afternoon at the RV park. Randy eventually fixed dinner. The kids took turns playing games on computer. (We finally have free internet again--YAY!) Kids took showers. And it still felt like supper time by the light outside. But no...it was already way past Anna's bedtime!

Yep...daylight here in Dawson Creek (mile 0 of the Alaskan Hwy) is currently from 5am til 9pm pacific time. [Plus, yesterday we just switched time zones...which means sunset is almost 30 minutes later here than it was in central Alberta.]

I guess the summer bedtime battles have already begun---time for kids to go to bed in daylight!

I sure hope my internal clock resets itself SOON! This time disorientation is driving me crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Reading your blog makes me aware of how many layers each of us has. Meeting you at Halter's Dream was a pleasure. Take care, Jan

    ReplyDelete